Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Boy, did I do two new things in two days!

This week, I was challenged by one of my professors to do two new things that I do not usually do. Considering the fact that I do a lot of stuff, it was tough to decide what to do! But after doing a little thinking outside of the box, there were two things that I wanted to do.

The first thing I wanted to do was order something new from a menu. This was no ordinary item that I ordered, however. This was an item named "Mexican Salsa." It is a platter of beans, cheese, and vegetables on an edible bowl - and a nice topping of salsa. For over a year, I wanted to try it. But for over a year, I was held back with fear. I was told by people who work at the restaurant that the salsa is spicy and that prevented me from eating the Mesican Salsa for a while. But I thought, "I can't live in fear like this all the time! I am going to give this a shot." So I went to the restaurant and ordered the Mexican Salsa. It was very similar to how it was described in the menu, but I noticed that there was no salsa on top of the vegetables and cheese. Instead, the salsa was in a small dipping cup! At that moment, it was my chance to determine how spicy the salsa really was. I poured it onto my food and then I took a bit of some of the food with salsa. Having a can of coke ready in case my mouth caught on fire (not literally), I soon realized that I did not really need it. The salsa was actually mild and was perfect. I was really happy that I decided to try something new and take a risk at trying some salsa where I did not know how hot it was. Had I not took that risk, I still probably would have been in fear of eating something extremely spicy when in fact, it is not.

So what's the second thing I did, you may ask? Well, I decided to do something I have never done in my life - 100 pushups at once. Ok, I admit. I paused in between some pushups, but I never got up during my 100 pushups. I always made sure I stayed down in my place until I was done my 100 pushups. Because this was the first time I did, it wasn't too easy. But I am sure that if I practiced doing 100 pushups many times, I will be able to get the hang of it. After I completed the 100 pushups, I felt great. I was amazed with how fast I was able to do these pushups within 10 minutes. It was at that moment where I learned that if I were to do these every day for just 10 minutes, this may help me be able to achieve a healthier lifestyle.

No comments: